Wednesday, December 2, 2009

LexisNexis and the Citation Pearl Growing Strategy

I think LexisNexis is a neat search tool, so I decided to use it in conjunction with my search for youth programs and their benefits to the community. In this search, I wanted to do a citation pearl growing search, since I had never done one prior to now. I started with a basic, no-nonsense search.

Search 1: (programs) AND (youth OR young adult AND services) AND (benefits)

No results. I thought the term “benefits” would get more results than “community”, but maybe not. I decided to try “community” again.

Search 2: (programs) AND (youth OR young adult AND services) AND (community)

I still came back with no results. Maybe I should try to simplify the search and see if that helps.

Search 3: (programs) AND (youth OR young adult AND services)

I once again came away with nothing, but I think it is because I am not specifying that I mean youth LIBRARY services. I decided to try it again.

Search 4: (programs) AND (youth OR young adult AND services) AND (library)

Nothing again, but I decided to place library elsewhere in the search and simplify the other parts, just to see if it is possible to get a result.

Search 5: (youth AND library) AND (programs)

Ack! Still nothing found. Maybe if I simplify the search even further, I could get a result.

Search 6: (youth OR young adult) AND (library) AND (programs)

I still did not get anything back. This could be for a variety of reasons, but I think newspapers have different buzzword, and Lexis uses a lot of different newspapers. Maybe I should just see what is out there for youth services and libraries.

Search 7: (youth OR young adult) AND (library)

Finally, I get results, but they number in the thousands. At least now I know some are out there. I refine my search to get a better result pack.

Search 8: (youth OR young adult AND services) AND (library)

This still gives me around 800 results, but at least I am slightly narrowing it down. I try “program” in the search again.

Search 9: (youth OR young adult AND services) AND (library) AND (program*)

Now, I get a list I can use. There is an article that has a bit of what I need: “Teens gain guiding role at libraries.” The Boston Globe, August 21, 2008 Thursday, WEST; Pg. Reg1, 802 words, Anna Fiorentino Globe Correspondent.

I find the term “adolescents” used, so I include that in my next search. I also try public libraries and narrow the search further.

Search 10: (adolescents OR youth OR young adult AND services) AND (librar* or public library*) AND (program*)

This brings me a list of 45 items. I note that an article in the list (“It takes a librarian to raise a village of teens; No longer mere keepers of the Dewey Decimal System, book wranglers are stepping in for strapped parents and teachers” The Globe and Mail (Canada), June 14, 2008 Saturday, GLOBE TORONTO; LITERARY LEAP: TORONTO'S NEW YOUTH CENTRES; Pg. M6, 1366 words, PATRICIA CHISHOLM, Special to The Globe and Mail), uses the term “Student and Student Life” in there search terms. I decide to add this to my search.

Search 11: (adolescents OR youth OR young adult AND services) AND (librar* or public library*) AND (program*) AND (student* OR student life)

25 results are in the list, which is a bit long, but still manageable. At the beginning of the result list, I find a good article. It took me a while, but I can see how the pearl strategy can be an asset as it quickly narrows down topics.

Here is the article:
”Opening young minds; D.C. library adds new learning tools for city youth.”
The Washington Times, September 2, 2009 Wednesday, A, CITIZEN JOURNALISM: DISTRICT; Pg. 15, 721 words, By John Muller SPECIAL TO THE WASHINGTON TIMES

No comments:

Post a Comment